I went to a friend's house the other day.. She is taking a course on nutrition. She is getting into the keneceology testing. She needed a client or Ginny pig for her home work for her class. She asked me if I wanted to be her Ginny pig so I said sure. So she interviewed me last week. We talked a lot about my past. It was really interesting for me to look back on my past and think of what I was like then and what I'm like now, and how far I've come and how much I've learned since then. The next part of the interview is the actual testing. She knew that I would be an interesting and difficult case. But she didn't know how hard I would be. So when I went to her house yesterday and she was doing the testing on me she figured out just how hard I was. It was a very interesting experience for her. Neither one of us knew that we'd be dealing with my neurological issues as well. She was testing certain pressure points on my body. If there is pain on certain pressure points you know that there is something wrong there. Well, while she was testing me she was asking me if their was pain on certain spots. Their was no pain on any spots when their should have been. Finally she looked at me and asked me if I was doing anything funny. I said no. I told her "I think there is something you need to know." so I told her that I had Dyspraxia, (developmental coordination disorder) PDD (persausive Developmental Disorder)
SID (sensory integration dysfunction) etc. It was the SID that was getting in the way.
Sensory integration dysfunction is a condition that creates abnormal oversensitivity or undersensitivity to physical touch, light and sound. That would explain why I wasn't feeling pain when when their should have been.
Also when I used to take ballet and tap, I would run into problems where my neurological issues would get in the way. I know if the teacher was telling me to do a certain thing with my body, I would have trouble and I wouldn't know what to do, even though I understood what she was telling me to do. But if she touched the part of my body she wanted me to move I was able to do it. That gets my brains attention. Some how there is a missing link between my brain and my body.
Also at Irish dance I run into a problem where my brain falls asleep. When my teacher is telling me to do a certain step or go a certain way, I know what she's saying but I'm not able to do it. But if she claps her hands it some how gets my brains attention and I'm able to do what she wants me to do.
It has been very interesting having neurological issues and learning how to cope with it. It's really helped me to not take life for granite. It's also taught me that we should be happy with the way God made us and not try to be someone else. Just be ourselves. God made each of us different. He made us the way we are for a purpose. God has used my problems to help other people. God has put a lot of great teachers in my life that have really helped me out and been there for me. God has also given me several close friends that understand me.
For anyone reading this post with special needs, I hope this post helps you understand yourself a little better.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.